Current:Home > reviewsTradeEdge Exchange:Armed person broke into Michigan home of rabbi hosting Jewish students, authorities say -ProsperityStream Academy
TradeEdge Exchange:Armed person broke into Michigan home of rabbi hosting Jewish students, authorities say
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 06:48:55
DETROIT — An armed person broke into the residence of a rabbi in Michigan late Wednesday during a holiday dinner with a group of Jewish students from the University of Michigan,TradeEdge Exchange authorities and school officials said.
About 20 students were attending a Jewish holiday dinner hosted by a rabbi who works with the University of Michigan community when the gunman entered through an open backdoor, stole a bag, and fled from the scene, according to Southfield police and university officials. The incident occurred shortly before 11 p.m. Wednesday.
The gunman did not fire any shots but displayed a weapon at the Southfield, Michigan, home, police said. No injuries were reported.
"The suspect was armed with a handgun and stated, 'I’m taking everything, give me everything,'" the Southfield Police Department said in a news release. "The preliminary investigation indicates this was a crime of opportunity. However, the investigation is ongoing."
Police said a suspect was identified and they were working to arrest him, adding that they have already arrested another person they believe was involved.
Friends lost, relatives at odds:How Oct. 7 reshaped lives in the U.S.
The attack came at the beginning of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, and the start of the High Holy Days. It also occurred weeks after multiple Jewish students reported attacks on or near the University of Michigan's Ann Arbor campus.
The recent incidents come after a year of protests on campus, broadly related to the ongoing war in Gaza. Demonstrations are expected on Monday, the year anniversary of the terrorist attacks on Israel.
Since the start of the Israel-Hamas conflict on Oct. 7, 2023, antisemitic and Islamophobic incidents have spiked across the country. The Anti-Defamation League said in its latest audit that the organization documented more than 8,800 antisemitic incidents in 2023 — marking a 140% increase from the almost 3,700 incidents recorded in 2022. In July, the Council on American-Islamic Relations reported that the organization received nearly 5,000 complaints between January and June, including anti-Muslim and anti-Palestinian hate incidents.
'Innumerable events locally and globally that have felt overwhelming'
In a statement Thursday, University of Michigan President Santa Ono said the school is steadfast in its commitment to student safety.
"This past year, there have been innumerable events locally and globally that have felt overwhelming and unsettling to many in our community. As tensions in the Middle East have escalated in recent days, it is more important than ever that we work collectively to offer solace and safety to one another."
He encouraged anyone with information to contact Southfield police.
Last week, Ono commented on the string of attacks involving Jewish students. He also confirmed the university found racist graffiti "targeting our Black community" in a residence hall.
In early September, a Jewish student told police he was approached by a group of people who asked if he was Jewish, according to police. When the student confirmed, he said they assaulted him.
Days later, Ann Arbor police said someone punched a student on the porch of a home where students from a historically Jewish fraternity live. Later, a group returned and threw glass bottles at the home.
The attacks prompted Jewish students to put together a volunteer group to walk with students on campus. An Ann Arbor police spokesperson said Thursday the investigations are ongoing.
"As the academic year begins, I want to make absolutely clear that racism, violence, and hate of any kind is antithetical to our mission and values, and we will not tolerate it. Fortunately, and while we alone cannot eradicate prejudice and violence, these events are not the norm," Ono said in a statement on Sept. 27.
Contributing: Thao Nguyen, USA TODAY
Reach Dave Boucher at [email protected] and on X, previously called Twitter, @Dave_Boucher1.
veryGood! (7791)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Drew Brees announces scholarship for walk-ons in honor of Jason Kelce's retirement
- Zendaya's Gorgeous 2024 Oscars Look Proves She's Always Up for a Challenge
- Mark Ronson Teases Ryan Gosling's Bananas 2024 Oscars Performance of I'm Just Ken
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Mikaela Shiffrin wastes no time returning to winning ways in first race since January crash
- Patrick Mahomes' Brother Jackson Mahomes Sentenced to 6 Months Probation in Battery Case
- Why you should stop texting your kids at school
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Behind the scenes with the best supporting actress Oscar nominees ahead of the 2024 Academy Awards ceremony
Ranking
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Julianne Hough's Stunning Oscars 2024 Look Includes Surprise Pants
- Josh Hartnett and Wife Tamsin Egerton Have a Rare Star-Studded Date Night at Pre-Oscars Party
- Inside the 2024 Oscars Rehearsals With Jennifer Lawrence, America Ferrera and More
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- TikTok's latest 'husband' test is going viral. Experts say something darker is going on.
- Men's March Madness bubble winners and losers: Villanova on brink after heartbreaking loss
- Permanent daylight saving time? Politicians keep trying to make it a reality.
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Mike Tyson back in the ring? Just saying those words is a win for 'Iron Mike' (and boxing)
Gold ring found in Sweden about 500 years after unlucky person likely lost it
Trump supporters hoping to oust Wisconsin leader say they have enough signatures to force recall
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
Oscars 2024: Matthew McConaughey and Camila Alves Have a Stellar Date Night
Disney's 'Minnie Kitchen Sink Sundae' for Women's History Month sparks backlash: 'My jaw hit the floor'
Why Dwayne Johnson Is Rooting For Best Friend Emily Blunt and Oppenheimer at Oscars 2024