Current:Home > StocksSicily Yacht Company CEO Shares "Endless" Errors That May Have Led to Fatal Sinking Tragedy -ProsperityStream Academy
Sicily Yacht Company CEO Shares "Endless" Errors That May Have Led to Fatal Sinking Tragedy
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 06:37:07
The CEO behind the sunken superyacht believes the tragedy in Sicily could have been prevented.
Just days after superyacht the Bayesian sank off the coast of Palermo, Italy during a freak storm early Aug. 19, Giovanni Costantino, the founder and CEO of The Italian Sea Group which owns the company that built the ship in 2008, is shedding light on what he believes was an "endless chain of errors from the crew."
"Everything that was done reveals a very long summation of errors," he told Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera Aug. 21, in an interview translated from Italian. "The people should not have been in the cabins, the boat should not have been at anchor."
As Costantino explained, the crew should have known about the storm, calling the claim that it was sudden and unexpected untrue.
"It was all predictable. I have the weather charts here in front of me," he said. "Ask yourself: why were no fishermen from Porticello out that night? A fisherman reads the weather conditions and a ship doesn't? The storm was fully legible in all the weather charts. It couldn't have been ignored."
The CEO also asserted the Bayesian was "one of the safest boats in the world" and practically "unsinkable."
"I'm saying that, in fact, mistakes were made," he added. "There's a world between the arrival of a storm and the loading of water. A series of activities had to be done to avoid finding ourselves in that situation."
In order to have avoided the tragedy, he explains that the first step would have been to armor the hull and deck "by closing all the doors and hatches, after having placed the guests in the assembly point of the ship as per emergency procedure."
Twenty-two people were originally on the yacht when it sank, including 10 crew members and 12 guests. The group had come together to celebrate the acquittal of tech tycoon Mike Lynch on charges of fraud related to Hewlett Packard's $11 billion takeover of his company Autonomy Corp.
Unfortunately, Lynch's body was recovered on Aug. 22 from the ship's hull. The bodies of Morgan Stanley International Chairman Jonathan Bloomer and his wife Judy Bloomer and Clifford Chance lawyer Chris Morvillo and his wife Neda Morvillo had been recovered on Aug. 21.
Lynch's 18-year-old daughter Hannah is the sixth and final missing person, with rescuers still searching for her.
In all, 15 of the 22 passengers survived the wreckage—one of them Lynch's wife Angela Bacares—while the body of the ship's cook Renaldo Thomas was recovered following the sinking.
One survivor, Charlotte Golunski, recounted the harrowing experience, sharing how she, her 1-year-old Sophie and partner James Emsley survived.
"For two seconds, I lost my daughter in the sea, then quickly hugged her amid the fury of the waves," she told Italian newspaper La Repubblica Aug. 20, per the BBC. "It was all dark. In the water I couldn't keep my eyes open. I screamed for help but all I could hear around me was the screams of others."
According to Golunski, a lifeboat was soon inflated that 11 of the survivors—including her family—climbed in.
Director of Sicily's Civil Protection Agency Salvatore Cocina had previously stated that it was likely a waterborne tornado—known as a waterspout—that struck the area and caused the tragedy. He noted that the yacht was unfortunately "in the wrong place at the wrong time."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (37129)
Related
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- California fishermen urge action after salmon fishing is canceled for second year in a row
- Maryland members of Congress unveil bill to fund Baltimore bridge reconstruction
- Why Kyle Richards Needs a Break From RHOBH Following Mauricio Umansky Split
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Colorado Skier Dallas LeBeau Dead at 21 After Attempting to Leap 40 Feet Over Highway
- Wilma Wealth Management: Case Studies of Wilma Wealth Management's Investments
- Hawaii-born Akebono Taro, Japan's first foreign-born sumo wrestling grand champion, dead at 54
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- J.K. Rowling says 'Harry Potter' stars who've criticized her anti-trans views 'can save their apologies'
Ranking
- Sam Taylor
- Knopf to publish posthumous memoir of Alexey Navalny in October
- J.K. Rowling says 'Harry Potter' stars who've criticized her anti-trans views 'can save their apologies'
- Rowan football coach Jay Accorsi retires after 22 seasons, 4 trips to NCAA Division III Final Four
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- White Green: Review of the Australian Stock Market in 2023 and Outlook for 2024
- Wynonna Judd's Daughter Grace Kelley Charged With Soliciting Prostitution
- A state trooper pleaded guilty to assaulting teens over a doorbell prank. He could face prison time
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Thousands of zipline kits sold on Amazon recalled due to fall hazard, 9 injuries reported
A Trump campaign stop at an Atlanta Chick-fil-A offers a window into his outreach to Black voters
These Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead Secrets Are Done, Man
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Wisconsin teen sentenced in bonfire explosion that burned at least 17
Prince William and Prince George Seen in First Joint Outing Since Kate Middleton Shared Cancer Diagnosis
Trump’s co-defendants in classified documents case are asking judge to dismiss charges against them