Current:Home > FinanceIranian club Sepahan penalized over canceled ACL match after Saudi team’s walkout -ProsperityStream Academy
Iranian club Sepahan penalized over canceled ACL match after Saudi team’s walkout
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 11:45:38
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iranian soccer team Sepahan was penalized with a 3-0 loss and a fine over a canceled Asian Champions League match against Saudi Arabia’s Al Ittihad, Iranian media reported.
The match was called off last month when the Saudi team — featuring former Premier League stars such as N’Golo Kante and Fabinho — walked out at the last minute, apparently over the presence of a statue of a slain Iranian general on the sidelines.
Iran’s foreign ministry had earlier said that an agreement had been reached to replay the match, amid concerns that the incident could further strain a recent rapprochement between Saudi Arabia and Iran, longtime rivals who have backed opposite sides in conflicts across the Middle East.
But Iranian media reported that the Asian Football Confederation ruled that Al Ittihad should be awarded a 3-0 win and that Sepahan should pay a fine of $200,000. According to the reports, Sepahan was also banned from hosting its next three Asian Champions League matches at home.
The AFC did not issue a public statement about the decision, and still listed the game result as “canceled” on its website Thursday.
Al Ittihad was set to play Sepahan on Oct. 2 but did not come out onto the field in Isfahan, where some 60,000 fans were in attendance. Saudi Arabia’s state-run Al Ekhbariya TV said they refused to come out because of a statue of the late Gen. Qassem Soleimani placed outside the entrance tunnel.
Soleimani, who commanded the elite Quds Force of Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, is seen as a war hero by Iran’s clerical rulers and their supporters but vilified by Western and many Arab nations because of his role in leading Iran’s military activities across the region. He was killed in a U.S. drone strike in neighboring Iraq in 2020.
Iranian media reported Thursday that Sepahan said in a statement that it will file an official complaint with the AFC.
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Nearly 100-year-old lookout tower destroyed in California's Line Fire
- 8-year-old who drove to an Ohio Target in mom's SUV caught on dashcam video: Watch
- America’s political system is under stress as voters and their leaders navigate unfamiliar terrain
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- WNBA MVP odds: Favorites to win 2024 Most Valuable Player award
- Get a Designer Michael Kors $498 Handbag for $99 & More Luxury Deals Under $100
- Detroit Lions coach Dan Campbell is selling his house to seek more privacy
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Endangered sea corals moved from South Florida to the Texas Gulf Coast for research and restoration
Ranking
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- The Real Reason Joan Vassos Gave Her First Impression Rose to This Golden Bachelorette Contestant
- Orioles hope second-half flop won't matter for MLB playoffs: 'We're all wearing it'
- Tyson Foods Sued Over Emissions Reduction Promises
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- 36 Unique Hostess Gifts Under $25 To Make You the Favorite Guest as Low $4.99
- Shop Hollister's Extra 20% Off Clearance Sale: Up to 75% Off on $4 Tops, $12 Pants & More Deals Under $25
- Man admits falsifying violent threats after fantasy football argument
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
High School Musical’s Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens' Relationship Ups and Downs Unpacked in Upcoming Book
Blue Jackets open camp amid lingering grief over death of Johnny Gaudreau
High School Musical’s Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens' Relationship Ups and Downs Unpacked in Upcoming Book
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
2 corrections officers stabbed, 3 others injured in assault at Massachusetts prison
State asks judge to pause ruling that struck down North Dakota’s abortion ban
Texas education commissioner calls for student cellphone ban in schools