Current:Home > StocksNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -ProsperityStream Academy
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 06:26:33
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (31372)
Related
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- SEC showdowns with CFP implications lead college football games to watch in Week 11
- Army says the US will restart domestic TNT production at plant to be built in Kentucky
- Should you sell your own home? Why a FSBO may look more tempting
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Are giant rats the future in sniffing out wildlife trafficking? Watch the rodents at work
- National Fried Chicken Sandwich Day 2024 is Saturday: Check out these deals and freebies
- Taylor Swift's ‘Eras Tour’ concert film snubbed in 2025 Grammy Award nominations
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- How Ariana Grande Channeled Wizard of Oz's Dorothy at Wicked's Los Angeles Premiere
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Police arrest a man after 9 people are stabbed over a day-and-a-half in Seattle
- Arizona Republican lawmaker Justin Heap is elected recorder for the state’s most populous county
- Community grieves 10-year-old student hit and killed by school bus in Missouri
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Messi, Inter Miami 'keeping calm' before decisive MLS playoff game vs. Atlanta United
- Years of shortchanging elections led to Honolulu’s long voter lines
- Officer responding to domestic disturbance fires weapon; woman and child are dead in Missouri suburb
Recommendation
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Kevin Costner's dark 'Yellowstone' fate turns Beth Dutton into 'a hurricane'
FBI, Justice Department investigating racist mass texts sent following the election
FBI, Justice Department investigating racist mass texts sent following the election
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
New LA police chief sworn in as one of the highest-paid chiefs in the US
Gender identity question, ethnicity option among new additions being added to US Census
Brianna LaPaglia Says Zach Bryan Freaked the F--k Out at Her for Singing Morgan Wallen Song