Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -ProsperityStream Academy
SafeX Pro:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 09:54:57
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have SafeX Proagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Crowns, chest bumps and swagger: In March Madness, the handshake isn’t just for high fives anymore
- A $500K house was built on the wrong Hawaii lot. A legal fight is unfolding over the mix-up
- This trans man transitioned, detransitioned then transitioned again. What he wants you to know.
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- This trans man transitioned, detransitioned then transitioned again. What he wants you to know.
- Evers signs new laws designed to bolster safety of judges, combat human trafficking
- Steward Health Care strikes deal to sell its nationwide physician network to Optum
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Bob Uecker, 90, expected to broadcast Brewers’ home opener, workload the rest of season uncertain
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Jill Biden wrote children’s book about her White House cat, Willow, that will be published in June
- Florida bed and breakfast for sale has spring swimming with manatees: See photos
- Families of 5 men killed by Minnesota police reach settlement with state crime bureau
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- This stinks. A noxious weed forces Arizona national monument’s picnic area to close until May
- Missouri boarding school closes as state agency examines how it responded to abuse claims
- What to know about the cargo ship Dali, a mid-sized ocean monster that took down a Baltimore bridge
Recommendation
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Brittany Snow Reveals “Saddest Part” of Ex Tyler Stanaland's Selling The OC Drama
Dallas resident wins $5 million on Texas Lottery scratch-off game
Baltimore bridge collapse reignites calls for fixes to America's aging bridges
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Ruby Franke’s Estranged Husband Kevin Details How She Became Involved in Extreme Religious Cult
Ex-Trump lawyer Eastman should lose state law license for efforts to overturn election, judge says
South Korean Rapper Youngji Lee Wants You To Break Molds With Coach Outlet’s Latest Colorful Drop