Current:Home > InvestWisconsin sexual abuse case against defrocked Cardinal McCarrick suspended -ProsperityStream Academy
Wisconsin sexual abuse case against defrocked Cardinal McCarrick suspended
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:22:49
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A Wisconsin judge suspended charges against defrocked Roman Catholic Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, accused of sexually assaulting a boy in the 1970s, ruling Wednesday that the former cleric is incompetent for trial because of dementia.
The decision will be reviewed at the end of the year, according to court records.
McCarrick, who did not appear in person for the hearing but listened in by phone, was charged with sexually assaulting an 18-year-old man more than 45 years ago, court records show. A criminal complaint alleges he fondled the man in 1977 while staying at a cabin on Geneva Lake in southeastern Wisconsin.
The alleged victim, who was not named, also told investigators that McCarrick had repeatedly sexually assaulted him since he was 11 and even brought him to parties where other adult men abused him, according to the complaint.
McCarrick’s Wisconsin attorney did not immediately respond to an email request for comment.
Peter Isely, program director of Nate’s Mission, a Wisconsin-based project of Ending Clergy Abuse, issued a statement saying the charge “would bring McCarrick to some kind of justice. For a victim to see his offender before a judge — even if that appearance is by phone — it can be a day of emancipation and liberation from carrying the awful burden of shame and secrecy that are an inevitable consequence of these crimes.”
McCarrick was removed from the priesthood in 2019 after a Vatican investigation found he had sexually molested adults and children.
He became the highest-ranking Catholic official in the U.S. to face criminal charges for sexual abuse when he was accused in 2021 of assaulting a teenage boy at a wedding reception in Massachusetts in 1974. His attorneys asked the judge earlier this year to dismiss the charges in that case, saying McCarrick, now 92 and suffering from dementia, was not competent to stand trial.
The once-powerful priest was ordained in 1958 and became archbishop in Newark, New Jersey, in 1986 and then archbishop of Washington, D.C., in 2000, rising to power despite church officials’ knowledge of accusations against him. A two-year Vatican investigation into McCarrick’s tenure found credible reports of his problematic behavior dating back to 1999, including an inquiry confirming that he slept with seminarians.
The church has confirmed it made financial settlements with adults who accused McCarrick of sexual misconduct. The cardinal retired in 2006 but continued to be active in political circles until he was defrocked by Pope Francis in 2019.
Wisconsin prosecutors learned of the alleged 1977 assault through a program dedicated to prosecuting instances of abuse by faith leaders, they said in a statement at the time McCarrick was charged. Officials were able to charge him because the statute of limitations does not apply to people who are not residents of the state. A similar law allowed Massachusetts prosecutors to bring their case against McCarrick more than 40 years later.
veryGood! (496)
Related
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- California sets a special election for US House seat left vacant by exit of former Speaker McCarthy
- North Korea and South Korea fire artillery rounds in drills at tense sea boundary
- Months after hospitalization, Mary Lou Retton won't answer basic questions about health care, donations
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Singer, actress Halle Bailey announces birth of son: Welcome to the world my halo
- At trial, a Russian billionaire blames Sotheby’s for losing millions on art by Picasso, da Vinci
- What are the IRS tax brackets? What are the new federal tax brackets for 2023? Answers here
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Bradley Cooper, Charles Melton and More Stars Who Brought Their Moms to the 2024 Golden Globes
Ranking
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Reports: Dodgers land free-agent outfielder Teoscar Hernandez on one-year deal
- ‘King of the NRA': Civil trial scrutinizes lavish spending by gun rights group’s longtime leader
- Killers of the Flower Moon star Lily Gladstone speaks in Blackfeet during Golden Globe speech
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- “Shocked” Jonathan Majors Addresses Assault Case in First TV Interview Since Trial
- Red Cross declares nationwide emergency due to critically low blood supply
- iPhone that got sucked out of Alaska Airlines plane and fell 16,000 feet is found on the ground – and still works
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
Worker killed in Long Island after being buried while working on septic system
Scientists find about a quarter million invisible nanoplastic particles in a liter of bottled water
Can Congress land a deal on Ukraine aid and border security as lawmakers return to Washington?
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
US moon lander encounters 'anomaly' hours after launch: Here's what we know
Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb to deliver 2024 State of the State address
Oscar Pistorius released on parole after serving almost 9 years for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp