Current:Home > NewsRoger Federer understands why there are questions about US Open top seed Jannik Sinner’s doping case -ProsperityStream Academy
Roger Federer understands why there are questions about US Open top seed Jannik Sinner’s doping case
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:16:18
NEW YORK (AP) — Roger Federer thinks Jannik Sinner’s doping case raises questions about whether the current No. 1-ranked tennis player should have been allowed to continue competing until he was absolved of intentionally using an anabolic steroid he tested positive for twice in March.
“It’s not something we want to see in our sport, these types of news, regardless if he did something or not. Or any player did. It’s just noise that we don’t want. I understand the frustration of: has he been treated the same as others? And I think this is where it comes down to. We all trust pretty much at the end, he didn’t do anything,” Federer said Tuesday in an appearance on the “Today” show to promote a book of photos of him. “But the inconsistency, potentially, that he didn’t have to sit out while they were not 100% sure what was going on — I think that’s the question here that needs to be answered.”
Several top players have been asked about Sinner, who is scheduled to face 2021 U.S. Open champion Daniil Medvedev in the Grand Slam tournament’s quarterfinals on Wednesday.
Rafael Nadal told a Spanish television show on Monday he doesn’t think Sinner received preferential treatment.
The International Tennis Integrity Agency said on Aug. 20 that it was determined that the banned performance-enhancer inadvertently entered Sinner’s system through a massage from his physiotherapist, and that is why the player was not suspended.
Asked about the matter in New York before the U.S. Open began, Novak Djokovic said he gets why some tennis players question whether there’s a double-standard in the sport.
“It’s a tricky situation and it’s the nightmare of every athlete and team, to have these allegations and these problems,” Federer said, adding: “We need to trust the process as well of everyone involved.”
The 20-time Grand Slam champion planned to be in the stands in Arthur Ashe Stadium to watch tennis, his first visit to the venue since he stopped competing. Federer announced his retirement in 2022; he played his last official match at Wimbledon the year before.
He is the last man to win consecutive titles at the U.S. Open, collecting five in a row from 2004 to 2008.
Federer said he spoke recently with Nadal, his longtime on-court rival and off-court friend, who is 38 and has played sparingly the last two seasons because of injuries, including a hip operation last year. He is sitting out the U.S. Open.
There are questions about whether Nadal, who has won 22 Grand Slam trophies, will return to the tour.
“He can do whatever he wants,” Federer said. “He’s been one of the most iconic tennis players we’ve ever had in our sport. ... I just hope he can go out on his terms and the way he wants to.”
___
AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis
veryGood! (7744)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- NFL mock draft: Broncos, Eagles aim to fill holes left by Russell Wilson, Jason Kelce
- West Virginia could become the 12th state to ban smoking in cars with kids present
- 'Survivor' season 46: Who was voted off and why was there a Taylor Swift, Metallica battle
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Cryptocurrency fraud is now the riskiest scam for consumers, according to BBB
- Amy Robach Shares She's Delayed Blood Work in Fear of a Breast Cancer Recurrence
- WWE Alum and Congressional Candidate Daniel Rodimer Accused of Murder by Las Vegas Police
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- What to know about Kate Cox: Biden State of the Union guest to spotlight abortion bans
Ranking
- 'Most Whopper
- 'A lot of fun with being diabolical': Theo James on new Netflix series 'The Gentlemen'
- This week on Sunday Morning (March 10)
- Amy Schumer's Parenting Milestone With 4-Year-Old Son Gene Will Have You Exhausted
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Broncos release two-time Pro Bowl safety Justin Simmons, team's longest-tenured player
- Revolve’s 1 Day Sale Has Rare Deals on Top Brands- Free People, For Love & Lemons, Superdown & More
- Elon Musk and OpenAI CEO Sam Altman, once allies, no longer see eye to eye. Here's why.
Recommendation
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Powerball winning numbers for March 6, 2024 drawing: Jackpot rises to $521 million
Letting go of a balloon could soon be illegal in Florida: Balloon release bans explained
'A lot of fun with being diabolical': Theo James on new Netflix series 'The Gentlemen'
'Most Whopper
Tennessee lawmakers propose changes to how books get removed from school libraries
This Oscar Nominee for Barbie is Among the Highest Paid Hollywood Actors: See the Full List
Xcel Energy 'acknowledges' role in sparking largest wildfire in Texas history