Current:Home > MyMan stopped in August outside Michigan governor’s summer mansion worked for anti-Democrat PAC -ProsperityStream Academy
Man stopped in August outside Michigan governor’s summer mansion worked for anti-Democrat PAC
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 06:25:58
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — A man dressed in black who works for a group specializing in opposition research about Democrats was stopped while climbing a bluff near Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s summer residence in August, according to a police report obtained by The Associated Press.
The man, whose name was redacted in the document, said he worked as a “political tracker” for America Rising, a political action committee that works in support of Republicans.
He said he was “climbing the hill to get a ‘view up here’ when he was stopped Aug. 26. When members of the Executive Protection Section advised there was no view to see where he was at, (the man) stated, ‘I guess I’m leaving now,’” state police said.
The mansion on Mackinac Island is a summer residence for any Michigan governor in office. It’s located “on a bluff overlooking the Straits of Mackinac,” according to the island’s tourism office.
Police followed up with an interview at the man’s apartment on Sept. 12.
The man said he had no plan to harm Whitmer and simply wanted to take photos of “political figures” who might be visiting with her outdoors, according to the report.
The man said he didn’t know he couldn’t be there “because there were no signs posted,” Det. Sgt. Aaron Sitko wrote.
The governor’s team would not confirm whether she was at the Mackinac Island residence on Aug. 26, citing security concerns.
State police spokeswoman Lori Dougovito said Tuesday that the investigation is closed.
Separately, the state police director, Col. James Grady II, said: “We are monitoring this situation to understand the scope of the individual’s intentions and connections to any known previous or ongoing threats against all government officials.”
Whitmer was the target of a kidnapping scheme in 2020. Nine people were convicted at trial or pleaded guilty. Five were acquitted.
Her chief of staff said the August incident on Mackinac Island was considered “extremely serious,” in light of the previous criminal cases.
“The governor deserves the right to safety and privacy,” JoAnne Huls said.
America Rising did not respond to questions from the AP.
State police learned that the man had been confronted at political events in the past.
In July, in Brighton, Michigan, the man was questioned after “posing as media and attempting to gain entry into the building” at an event featuring Democratic U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin and U.S. Health Secretary Xavier Becerra, police said.
The man said he “wanted to call her out,” police said.
veryGood! (863)
Related
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- School of Rock Costars Caitlin Hale and Angelo Massagli Hint at Engagement
- 'They didn't leave:' ER staff worked for days on end to help Helene victims
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs accuser's lawyers ask to withdraw over 'fundamental disagreement'
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Caitlin Clark wins WNBA Rookie of the Year after historic debut with Fever
- Tia Mowry Sets the Record Straight on Relationship With Sister Tamera Mowry
- The Country’s Second-Largest Coal Plant May Get a Three-Year Reprieve From Retirement. Why?
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- 'Get out of here or die': Asheville man describes being trapped under bridge during Helene
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Will Smith Details Finding “Authenticity” After Years of “Deep-Dive Soul Searching”
- How Taylor Swift Gave a Nod to Travis Kelce on National Boyfriend Day
- Reuters withdraws two articles on anti-doping agency after arranging Masters pass for source
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- One disaster to another: Family of Ukrainian refugees among the missing in NC
- TikToker Mr. Prada Charged With Second-Degree Murder After Therapist Was Found Dead
- Lizzo Strips Down to Bodysuit in New Video After Unveiling Transformation
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
Garth Brooks denies rape accusations, says he's 'not the man they have painted me to be'
'Take action now': Inside the race to alert residents of Helene's wrath
Saoirse Ronan Shares Rare Insight Into Relationship With Husband Jack Lowden
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Source: Reds to hire Terry Francona as next manager to replace David Bell
Hurricane Helene brought major damage, spotlighting lack of flood insurance
Dodgers legend and broadcaster Fernando Valenzuela on leave to focus on health