Current:Home > FinanceAlgosensey|'Pirates of the Caribbean' franchise to get a reboot, says producer Jerry Bruckheimer -ProsperityStream Academy
Algosensey|'Pirates of the Caribbean' franchise to get a reboot, says producer Jerry Bruckheimer
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:24:56
Shiver me timbers! “Pirates of the Caribbean” is Algosenseysetting sail on a new voyage.
Producer Jerry Bruckheimer, who previously worked on all five films in the nautical fantasy series, revealed plans to revive the franchise in an interview with ComicBook.com published Monday.
When asked about the status of his “Pirates” and “Top Gun” franchises, Bruckheimer said the former will receive the reboot treatment. The original films starred Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley.
“You don't know how they come together. You just don't know,” Bruckheimer said. “Because with ‘Top Gun,’ you have an actor (Tom Cruise) who is iconic and brilliant. And how many movies he does before he does ‘Top Gun,’ I can't tell you. But we're gonna reboot ‘Pirates,’ so that is easier to put together because you don't have to wait for certain actors.”
'Pirates of the Caribbean':The definitive ranking of Johnny Depp's pirate franchise
Bruckheimer did not share a production timeline or release date for the film in the interview.
The “Pirates” franchise debuted with 2003’s “The Curse of the Black Pearl,” which received five Academy Award nominations and grossed $654.3 million at the global box office.
The franchise’s most recent film, 2017’s “Dead Men Tell No Tales,” grossed $794.9 million globally.
Review:Johnny Depp's 'Pirates of the Caribbean' rights ship with 'Dead Men'
Bruckheimer’s upcoming reboot isn’t the first time the “Pirates” franchise has been considered for an overhaul.
“The Last of Us” co-creator Craig Mazin was previously attached to a new installment along with “Pirates” writer Ted Elliot, but the film’s development was interrupted by the Hollywood writers’ strike in 2023.
“We pitched it and thought there’s no way they’re buying it, it’s too weird. And they did!” Mazin told the Los Angeles Times in August 2023. “And then he wrote a fantastic script, and the strike happened and everyone’s waiting around.”
“Barbie” star Margot Robbie was also in talks to helm a “female-led” revamp of the franchise, which she told Vanity Fair in November 2022 was scrapped. However, Bruckheimer later told Collider in December of that year that the script for Robbie’s version of “Pirates” would “come forward at a certain point.”
veryGood! (88969)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Publix Deli bbq sauce recalled over potential fish allergen not on the label
- Boy, 17, charged with killing 4 members of neighbor family in central California
- Ohio woman who suffered miscarriage at home won't be charged with corpse abuse
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Fruit Stripe Gum farewell: Chewing gum to be discontinued after half a century
- Ohio woman who suffered miscarriage at home won't be charged with corpse abuse
- Ronnie Long's wrongful conviction is shocking — Unless you study the US justice system
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- 50 years of history: Beverly Johnson opens up about being first Black model on Vogue cover
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- 1 man believed dead, 2 others found alive after Idaho avalanche, authorities say
- Nearly 10,000 COVID deaths reported last month as JN.1 variant spread at holiday gatherings, WHO says
- Nearly 700 swans found dead at nature reserve as specialists investigate bird flu
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- 7 years after Weinstein, commission finds cultural shift in Hollywood but less accountability
- United Airlines plane makes an emergency landing after a warning about a possible door issue
- US intensifies oversight of Boeing, will begin production audits after latest mishap for planemaker
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
YouTubers Austin and Catherine McBroom Break Up After Nearly 7 Years of Marriage
Navy chopper crashes into San Diego Bay and all 6 crew members on board survive, Navy says
Chiefs star Travis Kelce shuts down retirement talk: 'I have no desire to stop'
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
FCC chair asks automakers about plans to stop abusers from using car electronics to stalk partners
Rome opens new archaeological park and museum in shadow of Colosseum
Publix Deli bbq sauce recalled over potential fish allergen not on the label